Graph Metrix.gif
Logo-3.9c2e6652.png

The Framework: ISO 19650 is the new framework for BIM level 2, but it will also work well for BIM level 3 projects. How fast we get there must be seen in the context of the exponential nature of information technology.

 

One of the things ISO 19650 says is that all project data should be stored as files in a CDE (Common data environment, such as a cloud hotel). Linked data enables you to have a BIM level 3 CDE, which further enables much better artificial intelligence for the AEC industry.

 

Jeroen Werbroucke has written an article about this on researchgate, explaining not only the possibilities, but also an infrastructure that is just waiting for us to capitalize on.

i4 technology delivers Trinity that brings '' Next Level BIM '', which has a huge potential for information flow and artificial intelligence, to the Norwegian ACE industry (see Trinity video on the right).

 

With the solid ecosystem and graph databases built on TBL's Linked data principles, and a systematic approach to ontology, we make BIM level 3 a reality.

Trinity utilizes the Solid ecosystem

HOW IS IT ALL CONNECTED?

The Internet of Things will give the industry an insight you could only dream of before. By generating Big Data, that is further analyzed by AI you can integrate the building or the building site into computer systems.

 

So IoT generates it, AI analyzes it. Big Data is what will drive industry and society forward. Big data is said to rest on 3 pillars or 3 V's; Volume, Velocity and Variety . The volume is handled by the cloud service providers and the velocity is handled by the 4G / 5G suppliers, but Variety of data, whether or how the data is structured, is something we should start thinking about in the AEC industry.

 

Today, about 70% of data on the Internet is unstructured, while most of the remaining 30% is structured in table databases. The unstructured data is virtually impossible for AI to analyze. However, the table structured data works OK but is not optimal for AI. This is because even though the data is structured in tables, the AI ​​does not understand the meaning, it does not matter why - in other words, the data does not have semantics. If you rather structured the data in graph databases that cosists of Triples according to the Linked Data Web 3.0 / The Semantic Web principles you will be able to:

 

  • Go from BIM Level 2 (BIM according to ISO19650) to BIM Level 3

  • Facilitate much better AI applications

  • Unite sensor technology with BIM for real-time digital twins

  • Integrate Blockchain based smart contracts into projects

  • Get cognitive and autonomous building and construction sites

 

The visionary behind this technology - is the man behind the World Wide Web, Sir Tim Berners-Lee.

Grafdatabase.png

DBpedia

PRINCIPLES

TBL ny.png

In a 2006 note, Berners-Lee outlined four simple principles for publishing data online. These are seen as rules of good practice, rather than rules that must be followed. The idea is that the more people follow these principles, the more their data can be used by others.

 

The principles:

 

  • Use URIs to identify things.

  • Use HTTP URIs so people can look up their names.

  • When someone looks up a URI , you must provide useful information using the standards ( RDF , RDFS , SPARQL ).

  • Include links to other URIs so they can discover more things.

WAY OF THINKING

When developing an ontology, one should think systematically. Therefore, we have a systematic approach to ontology. If you want to learn more about this we can recommend this article by David Rousseau.

SEMANTIC.png

INFRASTRUCTURE

Solid is Tim Berners Lee's PoC for the Web 3.0 infrastructure. This will act as a new layer over the existing Internet (web2.0) and act as a protocol for sending Triples between Graph Databases / SolidPODS . GraphMetrix develops Trinity based on Solid. A research article on why Solid's infrastructure with Solid PODs will be particularly suitable for the AEC industry was recently published on the reseachgate.

Solid logo.png
 

WHO IS WORKING ON THIS?

The World Wide Web Consortium, abbreviated W3C, is an organization that was started by Tim Berners-Lee in October 1994. The organization's main goal is to develop protocols and standards for the technology used on the World Wide Web. LBD (LINKED BUILDING DATA COMMUNITY GROUP) is part of W3C and develops Ontologies for the AEC industry. Alongside Jeroen Werbroucke and several of the former members of Building Smart's recently discontinued LDWG (Linked data Working group), one of the people who is constantly working on this is our friend Mads Holten Rasmussen who has written a doctorate on just this. On the right you can see video where Mads presents the PhD.